Wellness is going big. Over the past five years, the global wellness industry has exploded and is now approaching $4 trillion annually —making it one of the world’s fastest-growing, most resilient markets.
Fact is, unwell workers are a massive drain on corporate profits, and U.S. healthcare costs are continuing to rise 5% to 10% a year. Ugh! So what’s a company to do? Well, you can expect more businesses to jump into the arena with both workplace solutions (like our pioneering behavioral health client, AiRCare), and offerings that appeal to the increasing number of Americans who are embracing and prioritizing well-being as an antidote to our increasingly hectic, over-connected lives.
It’s no surprise that the chaos and pace of modern society is directly responsible for some of the biggest wellness trends right now. Here are three worth watching, courtesy of the Global Wellness Institute.
1. Mind over matter. Wellness culture has historically focused more on “body” than “mind.” Now a slew of mental wellness approaches are trending: from sleep health to meditation mainstreaming and apps that use neuroscience to track mental wellness and stress. Have you gotten into a good HeadSpace lately?
2. You: Unplugged. In a time of 24/7 connectivity and noxious news, more businesses and wellness destinations will take a radical new approach: absolute silence and disconnection. Look for new “silent spas,” “wellness monasteries” and hotels (and workplaces) with “quiet rooms.” Even silent restaurants, gyms, hair salons, stores and airports are appearing. Shhhhhh.
3. Wellness for all. Forget the $300 yoga pants; look for a wave of wellness products and services at lower price-points: new affordable healthy grocery stores, fast food chains and more accessible sliding-scale classes that are priced based on income. In other words, no more excuses!
At a recent event we hosted with a client, the topic of death clocks came up. In case you haven’t heard, these are online calculators that use algorithms and predictive modeling to estimate precisely how many years/days/minutes you can expect to live based on demographic and health data you provide – to the second.
While some may find this gimmicky or morose, the fact of our impending death is frankly the only thing that’s certain in life. Furthermore, many experts believe that living with a sense of mortality can help us bring more mindfulness and meaning to each moment we’re alive, giving us a greater sense of appreciation and purpose. Indeed, some of the death clock apps are designed to do exactly that.
Of course prioritizing wellness and making healthy lifestyle choices can demonstrably prolong one’s life, and improve the quality of the days/minutes/years we have left. Here at Spyglass, we’ve been trying some of these health hacks — like drinking more water, eating more fruit… (oranges, of course) and soaking up more sunshine. Which means we are heading outside for a walking meeting right now … and so should you!
Just like people who get in sluggish ruts (yes, Virginia, it was a long winter here in the Northland!), many businesses are on autopilot with their marketing efforts. For humans, scientific evidence suggests that periodic cleanses and intermittent fasting can help. For companies, Spyglass prescribes this painless assessment — followed by a proven protocol of creative interventions.
Could your brand use a healthy reset or a jumpstart?
Take the quiz.
- You’re stuck in a routine. You keep doing the same marketing tactics without clear results. Yet you’re hesitant to change.
- You’re in denial. Deep down you know things could be better but you mostly ignore that fact.
- You’re busy. You know your brand needs a makeover but you’re too overwhelmed to start.
- You’re DIY. You had professional help at one point, but now you’re doing your best to handle matters internally — with mixed results.
- You’ve lost perspective. You’re honestly not sure if your brand is still relevant or you’re keeping up with the competition.
If two or more of these boxes apply to you, let’s talk! Spyglass is here to help you reinvigorate your brand marketing and dial up your image and impact.