Are you ready to stretch and grow?
Minneapolis-based Spyglass is a boutique brand consulting + creative agency that works with leaders of growth-oriented businesses around the U.S. to position them for rapid expansion.
We’re looking for someone who is confident in their graphic design, problem solving and creative strategy abilities and ready to up their game in terms of responsibility, contribution and diversity of clients and challenges. Spyglass has a stellar reputation, and we are relentless in our pursuit of not just good creative ideas, but the right creative idea driven, by a solid strategy. We strive for excellence in everything we do, say, create and deliver. We pride ourselves on our close and meaningful relationships with our clients (and each other) and the results we help our clients achieve in a very short timeframe.
Senior Designer / Associate Creative Director
As Senior Designer/Asst Creative Director you will play a central role in developing and executing business-aligned creative ideas for our clients across numerous channels. You will be involved in brainstorming, ideation, creative concepting, and design for core brand and campaign elements. We will want and expect you to contribute to the creative solutions we bring our clients, not just take orders and manage creative changes. This is a perfect opportunity for you if you want to be challenged and further develop your brand strategy and creative acumen.
You will work directly with the Chief Creative Officer and Lead Creative Strategist, learn how we do things, and potentially become an Associate Creative Director.
Core Responsibilities and Key Attributes
- Bring a business mindset: Be willing to learn and understand clients’ industries, their competitors and their business challenges and goals.
- Think strategically: Ideate and create from the perspective of market white space, differentiation from competition and positioning opportunities.
- Develop business-aligned creative concepts and collaborate internally and externally with teams to iterate on concepts.
- Embrace constructive feedback from colleagues and clients to evolve your ideas and approach.
- Monitor and manage creative phases to ensure work is being delivered on time and aligned to the agreed-upon strategies.
- Create final assets across multiple channels including print, digital advertising, social media and more.
- Be willing to get in the weeds as needed and do what it takes to get things done.
- Be passionate about Spyglass and care about what we do, why we do it, how we do it – and want to help us be better than we are today.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Highly curious, collaborative and committed to excellence
- 7 or more years of relevant experience
- An exceptional portfolio and track record of strong strategy and design skills that can be applied to diverse industries and multiple channels
- Strong communication abilities–to socialize and support your ideas both internally and with clients
- High sense of urgency and ability to quickly shift priorities, based on changing client and agency needs
- Creative competency in the use of these tools:
- Adobe Creative Suite of applications (including finalization of assets to spec)
- PowerPoint and Google Slide (Creative template creation)
- XD, InVision and Figma
- Experience in these channels and applications:
- Websites (design approach, application of WCAG AA standards, style guidelines for development and simple clickthrough prototypes)
- Social and paid media
- Digital design applications (advertising, email design, etc.)
- Storyboard design
- Ability to zoom out and see the big picture and zoom in to ensure important details are being covered
- Sense of fun and warmth, and are outgoing and approachable
- Self-starting and can thrive in a fast-paced entrepreneurial environment
- Looking for a creative, highly collaborative culture and want to be an integral part of a kind and caring A-game team
- Hybrid work environment – at least 3 days a week in the office (we have a very cool, collaborative studio space near Loring Park), and in-person client meetings as needed and some WFH.
- Respect for work-life balance—we work incredibly long and hard when we need to but also honor people’s lives and priorities and aim to be as flexible and accommodating as possible
- Competitive compensation
- Benefits package includes access to health insurance plan with some premium coverage, life insurance, short- and long-term disability coverage, 3% of salary contribution to Simple IRA (as long as you are also contributing).
How to Apply
Please send your portfolio link plus cover letter with resume together in a PDF and your salary request in the email message to our retained search manager, [email protected]. Label your subject line “Your Name, Sr Designer/AD > Spyglass.”
In your letter, respond to 2-3 of these questions…
- Tell us how design thinking and/or business acumen figure into your work.
- Give an example of a successful engagement with a CEO or C-suite executive.
- How do you balance project management and production alongside design and art direction?
- In what ways do you hope to grow in the next five years?
This role reports to the VP of Client Strategy and Services. Interviews will begin there, virtually, and include additional team members in one or more additional sessions, which may include in person.
We look forward to hearing from you!